What If We Aren't Better?

Before I get into this post a quick thank you to everyone who has read my blog, since I started this it has been a great way for me to get my thoughts out and "share" even if my readers aren't right in front of me and it's also helped me to think in a more positive way and focus on Christ. So thank you thank you for taking the time to read my little blog :) And an even bigger thank you to those who have said these meager writings are good :)

Anyways enough sentiment and on to blogging and posting and stuff ;P

"I think that when we get to Heaven
We're gonna laugh when we can see
How hard we try to make it
And how easy it should be"

("Praise the Lord" - Crowder) 

Do you ever wonder why we make so many mistakes? Do you ever sin and think "I'm better than this... This isn't who I want to be."?  I had one of those moments and then realized something. 

What if we aren't better? 

What if even though I'm a christian I'm still not better than this. The only good in me is Christ and when I've sinned clearly that wasn't an action of Him. We can only be as good as how much we let Christ shine through us, not because of ourselves.

"Oh, my soul
Oh, how you worry
Oh, how you're weary, from fearing you lost control
This was the one thing, you didn't see coming
And no one would blame you, though
If you cried in private
If you tried to hide it away, so no one knows
No one will see, if you stop believing"

("Oh my soul" - casting crowns)

For the past few months I've felt out of control, I by no means have "had it all together", trying so hard to keep my life under control following my own plans and constantly trying to convince myself that they could be reality. Deep down knowing that I have no control at all over my life, yet not wanting to trust God that He has the best in store because His plan requires patience and I have no control and little knowledge of what it is. And now I find myself in the habit of halfway trusting myself and not trusting God, knowing that I need to, which causes me to feel alone. But having good moments where I do trust Him and the fear of the unknown fades. So back and forth I go on this roller coaster called life trying to trust God fully again.

"I'm not strong enough, I can't take anymore
(You can lay it down, you can lay it down)
And my shipwrecked faith will never get me to shore
(You can lay it down, you can lay it down)
Can He find me here
Can He keep me from going under"

("Oh my soul")

So all this to say I'm having a hard time of things and feeling pretty helpless/weak.

But what if that's the point? What if I'm supposed to be this way. What if we're supposed to be so weak that we can't leave His side? That we don't even want to leave His side?


"When the world is shaken, You're my firm foundation
Be still, be still my soul
The God I know, will make a way
Whatever comes, whatever I face
The God I know, is strong to save
He is the Lord, He conquered the grave"
("The God I know" - Chris Tomlin. His new album is fantastic!)

I don't know about y'all but I would much rather stay at God's side and stop going it alone, but it's easier said then done. Ah yes patience my old friend who I don't actually know very well..... HELP ME! It takes time, a lot of effort and motivation to build that habit, but I know it will be worth it.

But it's not out of reach, no we won't come even close to perfecting it but hey we'll be way better off if we try as opposed to not trying at all. But think of the pure relief if this was reality:

"Just to know You and
To make You known
We lift Your name on High
Shine like the sun make darkness run and hide
We know we were made for so much more
Than ordinary lives
It's time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive
Joy Unspeakable, Faith Unsinkable, Love Unstoppable, Anything is possible"
("Thrive" - Casting Crowns. This is one of my most favorite songs which for me with the gigantic library of songs I have is saying something :P)

So my hope is that I (and you) will stop chasing our tails and start sticking as close to God as we can and we got the God of the whole universe to help us out in doing that.

Philippians 4:12-13 "I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

I heard a sermon recently where the pastor said it wasn't exactly "I can do all things" but could be better put as "I can accept all things". Acceptance of our circumstances would lead us to greater contentment in Christ. If nothing else came before Him and we trusted Him above all others (including ourselves) while life would by no means be "perfect", we would find so much more joy in it. If we wouldn't make things harder in our own minds and see how easy it is, just trust Him and it will all work out. I hope I start reminding myself of that and when I feel afraid or anxious that I'd simply pray "Father, I trust You."
 
Thanks for reading,
Zachary



  

Comments